Looking for jobs in Highways Engineering? Youíve come to the right place.
Highways engineer jobs are focused on improving the way that people travel among the UKís transport network and ensure that it is safe, sustainable and as environmentally friendly as possible. Highways jobs range from devising effective traffic management systems to co-ordinate local transport access, to bridge infrastructure, parking, road safety, cycle networks and traffic flow systems analysis. A full job description for a highways engineer is described below.
> Latest Highways Engineering Jobs - see below
Highways Engineer Jobs: typical responsibilities
- Analysis and monitoring of current road systems
- Liaison with local councils and police on accidents, traffic flow, noise, demand / use of roads in local areas and strategise ways in which road systems can be improved.
- Designing new road layouts and traffic flow systems using Design Highways software packages including CAD / AutoCAD
- On build liaising with other contractors especially when lighting is involved
- Ensuring bridges, lighting and roads meet the approved regulations and standards
- Documenting and reporting
- Strategising highway / traffic improvements so that they satisfy local authorities expectations; cost effective, fit for purpose and environmentally sustainable
- Reporting to senior engineers and/or local authorities
- Some more senior highways engineering jobs will require you to project manage and oversee the whole development
- You will also need to have excellent communication and written skills and be a team player
What qualifications do I need to be a Highways Engineer?
Generally for a highways engineer job you will need to have a degree qualification in civil engineering at BEng level, although some jobs may require you to have an MEng. A good background in highway design and proficiency in AutoCAD/ CAD is essential. Proficiency in other design highways packages such as could be beneficial. You will also need to have knowledge of the design of UK highway schemes and the Highways Agency standards.
More senior highways engineer jobs will require you to have a chartered engineer status and a minimum of 5 years post graduate experience in highways design engineering which includes the detailed design of highways under Design & Build, DBFO or ECI conditions, Drainage Experience, development site issues and project management.
- Starting salaries for highways engineers can range from £14,000 to £24,000
- Salaries for senior highways engineers can range from anything between £30,000 to £60,000+,although salary is heavily dependent on the project in hand.
- Salaries vary depending on the organisation, the scale of the project and location of your work.
Canít find what youíre looking for? Search for more jobs or Register here and let us send you our latest jobs in highways engineering straight to your inbox or mobile phone.
To view the latest 5 highways engineer jobs see below.> Register and submit your CV today - we'll tell you when a vacancy appears thats right for you!